Our school meals are currently supplied by a catering company called Chartwells, they provide healthy balanced meals for the children on a daily basis, please click on the links below to see more information about them and our current menu available.
Children are encouraged to bring a healthy packed lunch in a named lunch box or bag. Whilst it is the parents/carers choice as to what they put in their children’s lunch box, we do encourage a healthy mix and we do not allow children to eat sweets, full-sized chocolate bars or drink fizzy drinks as part of their lunch.
Getting ideas and inspiration for what to include in your child’s lunchbox can be a difficult task. Healthy eating is simply about getting a better balance and eating a wide variety of foods. All foods provide energy and nutrients and it is achieving the correct intake of those nutrients that are important for health. Variety is the key to a healthy diet, so try not to offer the same foods on consecutive days. By including a broad range of different foods, a much wider variety of nutrients will be eaten. The ‘Healthier Lunchbox Checklist’ helps to explain what ‘a healthy mix’ means in terms of getting a well-balanced meal in a lunchbox.
Healthier Lunchbox Checklist:
- A good portion of starchy food: e.g. thick wholemeal bread, chapatti, pitta pocket, pasta or rice salad?
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables: e.g. an apple, a satsuma, handful of cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks, mini-can of fruit chunks or a small box of raisins?
- A portion of milk or dairy food: e.g. individual cheese portion or pot of yoghurt?
- A portion of lean meat, fish or alternative: e.g. ham, chicken, beef, tuna, egg, hummus or bean/lentil salad?
- A drink: e.g fruit juice, milk or water.
Please note that we are a NUT FREE school so please do not send any nuts or products containing nuts (such as peanut butter or cereal bars with nuts) into school with your child.
The following link contains some useful information on healthy packed lunches: http://www.nhs.uk/Change4Life/Pages/healthy-lunchbox-picnic.aspx
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are eligible for Universal Infant Free School Meals. Any enquiries regarding free meal entitlement should be addressed to the school office or Bromley Council's Free School Meals Team:
Telephone: 0300 303 8664